Denver Bible Institute was founded in September 1914 by Clifton Fowler. Two male students began classes and were soon joined by two female students. The one- year school term focused on Bible teaching and Christian ministry. The two women finished the program in 1915.
Denver Bible Institute moved into a large home, using various rooms and floors for school activities and dorms. The horse stable was converted into a chapel and the basement into a print shop. The program was expanded to multi-year Bible and ministry work.
Denver Bible Institute purchased a large tract of land in Jefferson County, which is now at Colfax and Sims, to build an entire campus. Staff and students themselves put up buildings and renovated older farm buildings on the property. Funds were slow to come in after the Depression started, so building slowed. In the early 1930s, tuition was suspended but the school continued to graduate strong students.
Denver Bible Institute endured some difficult times. Clifton and Angie Fowler divorced, a difficult event in this very conservative community. Funding the school was difficult, and by 1940 Fowler retired and moved to Florida.
Denver Bible Institute hired a new president, W.S. Hottel, one who had not been through the DBI program, who tried to make changes in staffing and facilities. He moved the Institute back to the Denver building on Glenarm Place.
Denver Bible Institute gained Sam Bradford, the pastor of the very large Beth Eden Baptist Church, as president. He took the school from its financial precarious position to a large body, with the help of the GI Bill and his leadership skills. He also moved the school toward the liberal arts, first as Denver Bible College (1945), then as Rockmont College (1949). Athletics began in 1946 with the hiring of the first coach for basketball.
Western Bible Institute was started by DBI alum Carl Harwood, with the help of many others, including alumni Archie Yetter and Clarence Harwood, and friends like Elsie Fick. WBI was located in Denver, near the South Platte River.
After a struggle to gain support for Rockmont as a liberal arts and Bible college, the board desperately sought a new facility. Rockmont was invited by Longmont to find a less expensive home there, and it grew there until 1967 when it moved to Lakewood on our present site. Presidents Archie Yetter and David Beckman led the school in Longmont.
The Clarence and Stan Harwood families contributed a large tract of land near Morrison, a tract CCU still owns in 2014, for Western Bible Institute’s campus. Plans were underway to move WBI to this acreage using surplus government buildings from the Lowry Air Force Base.
Rockmont moved to Lakewood, under the guiding hand of Dr. Beckman. Rockmont's choir pictured above.
Huitt Barfoot, a public school administrator, started a small junior college, Colorado Baptist Junior College, using the Southern Baptist Church, Westminster, for a home base. CBJC ran an evening program for professionals who wanted a Christian college education.
KWBI, a radio ministry of Western Bible Institute, was on the air.
Evening school programs under titles such as the School of Innovative Studies and the School of Professional Studies began at Rockmont (but the evening school tradition goes back to 1914 in DBI, then WBI and CBJC who also had evening programs for credit).
Western Bible Institute had become a Bible college in the 1970s and was renamed Western Bible College then. Rockmont closed its doors for financial reasons briefly in 1984, but reemerged with the support of faculty, staff, and friends. Rockmont and WBC merged in 1985 and decided to use the Lakewood campus temporarily until a better campus could be built at the Morrison site. The school was renamed Colorado Christian College.
Colorado Baptist also received a boost when Southwest Baptist University, Missouri, decided to take CBC under its wing as an extension campus. Their agreement lasted until 1989, and it was renamed Colorado Baptist University in 1985. CBU moved to the Denver University Women’s College campus (now Johnson & Wales).
CCU joined RMAC (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) as a Division II school.
KWBI was sold to K-LOVE.
The College of Adult and Graduate Studies (CAGS) restructures to include campuses in Colorado Springs, Denver Tech Center, Grand Junction, Lakewood, Loveland, Northglenn, and online education.
Bill Armstrong became CCU’s president.
CCU’s think tank, the Centennial Institute, launches the first Western Conservative Summit.
Colorado Christian University celebrates 100 years of God's faithfulness...and opens Leprino Hall, our new academic building.
CCU opens Yetter Hall, a residence hall for 300 student on the main campus, named for former President Archie Yetter.