The GI Bill and Your Military Higher Education

“Do I really need more education?” Most soldiers in the armed forces have probably asked the question about military higher education. Is it necessary? Is it worth it? Let’s ask the question from various angles, and get some honest answers.

“I don’t see how getting an education while I’m in the military could help.”

There are some who forego college education while in the military, because they don’t see how it would be profitable for them. While it’s true that you can do just fine in life without a college degree, it’s also true that getting a college degree will improve your situation, regardless of your future plans. In fact, college-educated military personnel can improve their pay grade even while they are enlisted.

“I already have job skills.”

The military provides their soldiers with job skills, and many of these skills can easily be applied to civilian life. Why not improve on those skills with a college education? The GI bill was designed to help soldiers not only adjust to civilian life, but also to help them get ahead in life. Military higher education sponsored by the GI bill will help you do just that.

“I’m going to be career military.”

Even those who plan to stay in the military for their entire career should take advantage of the GI bill. Higher education is not just a helpful asset for civilian life. It is something that improves your abilities for your career in the military. If you’re going to make it your career, you might as well make it the best it can be.

“I can’t afford it.”

Here’s one objection that simply doesn’t work. Sure, college is expensive, but that is exactly why you are entitled to the GI Bill which includes veterans education benefits. There are some people who completely lack the financial resources to attend college, but since the GI Bill became available, all military personnel are given the chance to attend college. You may not have a full ride scholarship, but you do have a major financial benefit that makes a college education a real possibility.

2 Comments