Understanding Adult Learner Grants

Most forms of financial aid, or “FA”, are available to traditional undergrad students. Adults attending college are often referred to as “nontraditional students,” those who are 25 or older. When you are searching the Internet for loans, the term nontraditional students, is a term you can expect to see.

For comprehensive information on paying for education beyond high school, please refer to the document, published by the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

Applying for Adult Learner Grants
The first place to start in your search for adult learner grants is by applying for Federal Student Aid. You can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form online.

Pell Grant. The most popular grant is called the Pell Grant, a government-funded source for needy students. To begin your application for the Pell Grant, you will need to complete the FAFSA. (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) Read more about Pell Grants.

One source of potential college funding is from your employer. Over 75% of employers provide continuing education funding. By law, employers are allowed to contribute a maximum of $5,250 annually to your education.

Be sure to check with the school you plan to attend and ask about grants for adult learners. Most likely, they will have a list of loans and application forms you can submit to apply for additional grants.

Other adult learner grants and loans are available from a variety of sources. Internet searches on the following sites may prove helpful.

Finding out How Much You Need in Adult Learner Grants
Making informed decisions about your college financials is extremely important. Be sure to keep careful track of your spending, grants, loans, and any other relevant information. To help you in your planning, use a college funding calculator. This calculator will help you with common college funding calculations.