Overcome Adult Learning Barriers to Unleash the Leader in You

Unlike students fresh out of high school, adult learners have many responsibilities that must be balanced against the demands of obtaining a college education. Because of the numerous responsibilities adults face, there exist barriers to adult learning that must be overcome in order to unleash the leader in you. To be a leader in the Christian community means to break down those barriers and fully embrace Christian tenets so you can withstand the trials of the business world in your new position, whatever that may be.

Common Barriers to Adult Learning

There are predominantly four barriers to adult learning:

• Situational
  • Dispositional
  • Institutional
  • Educational
Some examples of situational barriers to adult learning are lack of time due to career or family; lack of transportation if you are attending classes on campus; the cost of higher education (though there are financial aid options for adult students–link to previous blog); and problems with childcare. Situational barriers to adult learning can be challenging because they are dependent on so many other factors than the adult student. The adult learner must have the cooperation of his/her boss, spouse, and childcare providers and must have the means to attend classes at CCU. That is not always easy, but we truly believe in the cliche, “Where there is a will, there is a way.”
Dispositional barriers to adult learning are more intrinsic than the extrinsic situational barriers listed above. Dispositional barriers include low motivation; low self-esteem, embarrassment,  and fear of failure. These barriers can be absolutely crippling and are the most problematic of all the barriers to adult learning. If you are convinced you do not have what it takes to get a college degree, then you will certainly be own worst enemy.
Institutional barriers to adult learning are the challenges that CCU presents in relation to your admissions and course schedule. Some examples of institutional barriers to learning are scheduling, admissions requirements, and financial aid. CCU will work diligently to help you through the admissions and financial aid process. We have a staff of Christian leaders on hand who can explain the process to you and guide you along the way.
Lastly, some barriers to adult learning are educational in nature. If you have had past bad experiences in schools or are not a native English speaker, you may feel frustrated and fearful. But even adults with learning disabilities have had great success at CCU. By discussing your special needs or opening up about your fears, CCU staff and faculty can work with you and help you to maximize your educational experience.
Busy mothers, fathers with demanding schedules and financially-struggling working men and women are coming to CCU to better their careers and their lives. If you are considering re-entering the education arena but have some reservations or feelings of self-doubt, you are not alone. Trusting the Bible and and sharing the love of Christ on campus combined with classroom learning will allow you to experience a transformational education that produces a leader with high ethical and professional standards.

One Comment