A few years ago, you may have not even known what Facebook and Twitter were, but like many other adults who initially thought these social media sites were a way for the “kids” to keep in touch with friends, you probably now realize that social media sites and professional connection sites such as LinkedIn and Plaxo are much more than sites to connect to people you may have otherwise never meet.
These sites are now used to advertise products and services; find jobs; communicate with existing and prospective customers and clients; and create a connected web of individuals and groups with shared interests who gain and lend support to fellow students, businessmen, congregation members, colleagues, friends and family. If you are looking for a job, applying to college or just need tips on how to re-enter the workforce, social media sites will have the answers to all of your questions. After completing a degree at Colorado Christian University, you will want to build your professional network with social media to improve your chances of finding a job or connect with people who can help you find a job.
Because Facebook is the number one social media site in the world, let’s focus our attention on this particular site and how it can be used for social and professional networking. If you do decide to use this social networking site for professional networking, here are some suggestions on how best to utilize it:
- If you decide to use Facebook for professional networking, take a close look at your profile, and decide what you want business contacts or prospective employers to see – and what you don’t.
- Create a simple profile, or revise your old one, with minimal graphics and widgets.
- Limit the photos you post and make sure they’re photos you would not mind prospective employers viewing.
- Post content relevant to your job search or career.
- Use Facebook email to build relationships with your Friends and former colleagues who may give you good references.
- Choose your Friends wisely and remember your Friends can see information about your other Friends in your Profile.
The College of Adult and Graduate Studies at Colorado Christian University offers associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs designed to specifically meet the needs of adult learners. Please contact the CCU admissions office today to learn more about how to get started on your degree next semester. There are financial aid for adult student opportunities available to help pay for your education.