10 Jobs that Could Be Yours with an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice

criminal justice jobsA career in criminal justice

If you’re going to put time, effort and money into pursuing a degree, it’s important to know where that degree can take you. Getting your criminal justice associate degree can open the door to many exciting and fulfilling careers, careers that can give you the chance to make a real, positive difference in the lives of other people. Here is a brief overview of ten career choices that may be open to someone with a criminal justice associate degree.

1. Police officer – Qualifications vary from state to state, but many police departments are looking to train new officers who already have a background in criminal justice.
  2. Campus security officer – Security personnel play a vital role at universities and hospitals, safeguarding both people and property.
  3. Victim advocacy counselor – A background in law makes you the ideal candidate to counsel people as they work their way through the complex and often confusing criminal justice system.
  4. Probation officer – Probation officers monitor the activities of offenders who have been placed on parole or probation and report on how well they are adjusting to life in the community.
  5. Corrections officer – Jails and prisons across the country are in need of qualified personnel to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those behind bars and the communities nearby.
  6. Evidence technician – Evidence technicians are key players in any criminal investigation. The evidence they gather and document can be the difference between locking up a criminal and letting him go free.
  7. Youth detention counselor – Youth detention counselors are not only responsible for keeping young offenders incarcerated, but also for providing them with job training, drug intervention and a positive role model.
  8. Legal assistant – With your basic understanding of the criminal justice system, you can be a valuable addition to a legal office, helping with research, basic investigations and the taking of statements from relevant witnesses.
  9. Crime statistics analyst - Working alongside law enforcement, statistics analysts analyze crime data to aid in the formation of prevention and suppression strategies.
  10. Insurance investigator – Insurance companies need people with legal backgrounds to run fact checks, investigate witness statements and analyze data during their claim processes.

As you can see, your criminal justice associate degree is just the first step in a wide variety of fascinating career choices.

3 Comments