Being a college student isn’t easy. Between attending class, homework, studying and peer work groups, you might even say its more work and stress than a full-time, 40-hour per week job. But try being a student while also raising a family and working a job to pay the bills and tuition – “hectic” takes on a whole new meaning. When you’re faced with the triple threat of work, family and class, it only makes sense to cut corners where you can. And one way you can minimize your workload around the house is at dinner time. Yes, family meals are important, but you don’t need to slave over the stove for hours a day to cook that perfect meal.
Here’s a look at five easy dinner ideas for working students:
- Hamburger helper: It comes in all different varieties, makes enough for the whole family and is easy to prepare. All you need is the box, which contains the seasoning and pasta, a pound of ground beef and milk for mixing everything together in the pan.
- Pasta: This is another simple dish that makes enough for the whole family. Simply pick up a few boxes of your favorite type of pasta, some Alfredo sauce and frozen chicken breasts or veggies. Grill up the chicken or veggies, boil the pasta, warm the Alfredo sauce and mix them all together for a delicious pasta dish. Caesar salad goes great as a healthy side or appetizer.
- Tacos: A pound of ground beef or chicken, a packet of taco seasoning, shredded cheese, sour cream and tortillas are all you need to pull off a taco dinner. To add to the Mexican feast, pick up chips, salsa and guacamole.
- Easy Crockpot Recipes: Crockpot recipes are great because you can get them started before class and come home to a delicious meal. Here are 10 easy recipes. Some of favorites include: Captain and Coke Pulled Chicken and Indian Butter Chicken.
- Breakfast: Have a little fun with your meal planning by cooking breakfast for dinner. Cook up some pancakes on the griddle, fry up some bacon and add toast and scrambled eggs as sides. It’s a fun way to switch up your dinners every now and then and it’s an easy meal to throw together on the fly.
Hopefully one of the easy dinner ideas for working students sounds delicious! Interested in going back to school? CCU has a wide variety of online and traditional programs crafted specifically for adults.