Secularists continue to asset that America was founded by Deists and secularists. They cite Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Paine, Madison, and Adams as examples of those who opposed biblical Christianity and embraced Deism. Recall that Deism is simply monadic monotheism (rejecting the Trinity) and is a clear expression of a belief in God. Outside of Paine, all those in question clearly acknowledged God, whether as Unitarians or deists. Orwell wrote in 1984 that “whoever controls the present, controls the past. Whoever controls the past, controls the future.” This truism illustrates why secularists are so interested in controlling the institution of education so as to control history. If historical revisionism succeeds, the next generation will believe a lie that America was not founded on a belief in God, and specifically the God of the Bible. As Abraham Lincoln said “ The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.”
- The Pilgrims (followed by the Puritans) came to America for freedom of worship. They were Christians.
- America had the first Great Awakening (1730-1750) that prepared the hearts of the colonists and paved a way for rebellion against unrighteous rule.
- The colonists used the New England primer as the foundation for education of their children through 1790. The primer was largely based upon the King James version of the Bible.
- The state constitutions were the founding documents of the nation. It was the states that created the national government and insisted on a provision protecting them from a national religion. Many of the state constitutions contained Christian provisions. Secularists did not draft the early colonial charters or state constitutions. Secularists or deists did not set aside Sunday as a day of rest for the President (Art. 1, sec. 7) or ended the Constitution with “Done in the Year of our Lord” 1787.
- 98% of the colonists identified themselves as Christian while 1.9% identified themselves as Catholic. The founders identified themselves as Christian.
- No revolutionary leader, who desired followers, dare attempted to lead a Christian nation into secularism. This is in stark contrast to France.
it is He who will save us. (three branches of government)
the one who has been robbed, or my wrath will break out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done—burn with no one to quench it. (Be vigilant with justice)
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. (God rules)
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. (God is the real king)