Growing Plants and Stunting Growth

Home/Uncategorized/Growing Plants and Stunting Growth

Growing Plants and Stunting Growth

(Courtney Reanier, 1776 Scholar) Isn’t it sad to think that we are more concerned with how many plants we are legally entitled to grow than how this drug is devastating the growth and potential of my generation and generations to come. We are growing plants yet stunting growth—and I’m sick of it.

Hiya. My name is Courtney Reanier, and I am a 19-year-old college student who is absolutely heartbroken at how marijuana is consuming the identity of our culture and the identities of countless kids with boundless futures. Well, at least, these kids used to have boundless futures. That was until the tobacco 2.0 industry came in and insisted on commercially capitalizing on emotionally unstable, undeveloped, hurting and increasingly broken young kids. Do we not understand that by down-playing the catastrophic consequences of marijuana and broadcasting to the world how “great” it is, that we are ultimately hurting the potential of our society to create a better tomorrow? We no longer seem interested in producing a generation of leaders but are rather focused on making a profit by saturating culture in a clearly distorted lie.

I am not saying that marijuana dealers are bad people. I am saying that they are great people stuck in a bad lie. And, the biggest lie that I refuse to accept is the idea that it’s okay to persuade teens to think they could finally be happy by choosing to “relax and take a hit.” I also reject the claim that, “If you are unhappy, who cares? Smoke a joint, and all your problems will eventually go away.”

Initially, it may seem like marijuana helps solves people’s problems. But, I have seen countless broken teenagers who struggle with anxiety, depression, and incredibly low self-esteem come to find their worth in something as worthless as pot. Often, the higher kids are getting, the lower their self-esteem becomes. And yes, smoking may actually help you forget about your burdens for a little while. But, it also causes you to forget what really matters. And that is you, what God thinks of you, and what you’re really capable of—all of which are far more significant than getting high.

Some people might scoff under their breath, thinking, “How would you know?” Well, I have seen the way that this drug has extinguished the fire of potential I saw in my twin sister. Marijuana has devastated my best friends, my high school classmates, my community, and even me. I have seen firsthand how marijuana shifts students’ focus from a life of fulfillment toward a life of distractions away from what really matters. Marijuana replaces true happiness and the struggle to find it with short-lived, empty feelings. It doesn’t matter if any big-name industry, dispensary, or pot user actually openly says this—Colorado is clearly cultivating a culture that preaches the message of artificial happiness.

And guess what: I am not happy. In fact, I’m sick of it. I am sick of being told that this is what young people want and even crave. As a 19-year-old girl, I am craving cultural redemption and a redefined identity for Colorado. I want my sister back, I want my friends back, I want my classmates back, and, more importantly, I want my society back.

So, I guess I’ll be a little blunt for a second (yeah, I know, terrible pun). I guess the reason why I am writing and why I care about marijuana commercialization is that I refuse to give up on a generation of leaders that can and will change the world. I refuse to stand by and let something that is far from true define the identity of our kids’ futures. You may disagree with these ideas and tell me I’m wrong—go ahead. But silence is no longer an option.

I want Colorado to start growing again.

9 Comments

1. Gene3443 June 13, 2018 at 5:10 am - Reply

A very excellent blog post. I am thankful for your blog post.

2. Adrien53 May 27, 2018 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Your article made me very impressed. I enjoyed it, I would expect at your website, or more articles

3. سرور مجازی May 8, 2018 at 7:03 am - Reply

I totally agree with you, this is going too far…

4. Jason Fiore April 20, 2018 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Your right about silence is no longer an option, its been long enough having to stay silent over a plant…and hiding, and feeling shame for doing it. Rather than wine at a resturaunt then drive home, id rather. Rather than have some beers after a hard day, id rather. Rather than life long pills, for ANY reason, pain or mental, id rather. Rather than sleep meds, id rather. Rather than wake in a cold sweat from past demons and grab a beer or gun, id rather you just smoke a joint and take a breath…its going to be ok. Yes, id rather everyone reached for god to help with any of the above. But…

5. Jason Fiore April 20, 2018 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Good lord, rally against alcohol then….i see the crap in ads, tv. Job done? Have some beers! At dinner with the kids? Have some wine!

Maybe if people like you would cut it out vs marijuana, there wouldnt be such a HORRIBLE stigma to one, rather the other. No pill problems, no need for xanax, anti depressants, valium. No drunk driving accidents, less addicts (research more if you dont think thats true) less ptsd, less shootings ( i made that up, but ill go with its true) less people using alcohol as an excuse to hit, fight, be aggressive then say, i dont remember. I can go on but….please, go after alcohol use and 19 year olds…causes MUCH more damage and gives the excuse to act rotten, be permiscuous, be too AGGRESSIVE towards the opposite sex.(pot doesnt knock u out) you cant od…..
    So many things to go after or fix to make us better…your wrong on this one at this time in our society….god be with.

• Jason Fiore April 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I said “you people” By YOU PEOPLE, i actually meant, smart, caring, intelligent people, that CAN help change things for the better. All races and people getting along. A kind of star trek like existance? Corny ya, but why not. This isnt whats causing our problems. It also never started them. (Marijuana)

6. Jesus Has Risen April 1, 2018 at 8:54 am - Reply

In 1937, the alcoholic Republican Nazi thugs criminalized marijuana to justify the unconstitutional arrest, incarceration and anal-rape in prison of African-Americans and Hispanics.

By what power of Satan does the Federal Government continue their racist policy against Medical Marijuana Cancer and Epilepsy patients in America.

God bless America… God bless Liberty…!

• Jason Fiore April 20, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Thank you for your comment. This issue actually makes me sad. Imagine if alcohol and marijuana switched places LONG ago. I truly believe wed be more at peace and prosperous.
      They backed the wrong horse to lift up….water into wine SHOULD have been, incense into herb….

7. Carl March 23, 2018 at 7:15 am - Reply

This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing with us. I learned a lot of new things thanks to you, Do you still have your work?

Leave A Comment