Colorado Christian University
Dual Credit FAQs

Dual Credit FAQs

Questions About Dual Credit?

Are you a high school student interested in receiving college credit for classes you take in high school? Or, a high school administrator or teacher interested in partnering with CCU to offer dual credit courses to your students? Find answers to commonly asked questions about dual credit below.

About Dual Credit Courses

What is dual credit?

A dual credit course is a college-level course taken at a high school and taught by a college-approved instructor. A student enrolled in a dual credit course can receive both high school and college credit for the course if they earn a "C" grade or better.

What is the difference between dual credit and AP courses?

Both dual credit and advanced placement (AP) courses are taught at the college level. AP college credit is earned based on an end-of-the-year test score. Students should understand the scores required to gain college credit at institutions of interest.

Dual credit is earned in the same manner as a typical college course — through papers, tests, and other assignments. The dual credit is awarded based on the grade received at the culmination of the course.

What are the benefits of dual credit courses?

Benefits include: college credit at a reduced rate, challenging coursework, gaining organizational skills necessary to succeed in college, shorter time frame needed to complete a degree, and more time to take courses of interest.

Are CCU dual credit courses accredited?

Since Colorado Christian University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, courses offered through the University are accredited. Learn more about CCU accreditations.

How much does a dual credit course cost?

CCU dual credit courses are offered at a reduced rate compared to CCU’s traditional cost per credit hour. There is a $200 fee per course to register for all CCU dual credit courses.

Science labs are included in the price of the lecture portion of the course. Students must register for the science lab along with the science lecture course.

Will CCU dual credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

Because CCU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, our credits transfer to many colleges and universities nationwide. Institutions, including CCU, differ on how they accept both AP and dual credits and can vary from year to year. Students should contact higher education institutions of interest regarding credit transfer prior to registering for a dual credit course.

CCU will not offer refunds for course credits that do not transfer to institutions.

Will students who complete dual credit courses still be considered freshmen when entering college?

The majority of colleges and universities will consider students entering college directly from high school as freshman regardless of the number of credit hours from dual credit courses. However, this policy is set by the college or university that the student chooses to attend.

Institutions, including CCU, differ on how they accept AP and dual credits and can vary their policies from year to year and for various programs. You are encouraged to contact universities of interest in order to understand how dual credits and class standing are viewed; this is important for financial aid purposes.

Is there a limit to the number of dual credit courses a student can take?

There are no restrictions set by CCU on how many dual credit courses a student can enroll in while they are attending high school. However, there may be restrictions set by individual high schools. Students should check with their high school guidance counselor prior to registering for multiple dual credit courses.

Student Eligibility

Who is eligible to take dual credit courses?

Typically dual credit courses are taken by juniors and seniors. However, each high school decides which students have the ability to register for CCU dual credit courses. Make sure to check with your guidance counselor prior to making a decision to register for a dual credit course.

Are international students eligible to register for dual credit courses?

Yes. International students may register for dual credit through Colorado Christian University. On the registration page, these students should use 000-00-0000 in the Social Security number field.

Registering for Dual Credit Courses

How do students register for dual credit courses?

Before registering for dual credit courses, students should check with their guidance counselor about CCU dual credit courses when creating their academic plan.

Visit our dual credit registration page for details and instructions on registering for courses.

When can students register for dual credit courses?

See the "Important Dates" tab on the student page for current registration dates.

Am I required to provide my Social Security number on the registration page?

Yes. Your Social Security number (SSN) is required for identification purposes, 1098T forms, and for ordering transcripts. If you are an international student, please submit the registration form by typing in 0’s for the SSN.

Can students withdraw from a dual credit course after registering?

Yes. You may drop or withdraw from a course by filling out the Drop/Withdrawal Request Form.

Drop/withdraw forms may be mailed. Drops must be completed by the deadline in order to receive a refund. The student will not receive a transcript for the course.

Withdrawing from a course after the drop deadline results in a "W" on your transcript and no refund.


How and when can students obtain transcripts?

When the CCU Dual Enrollment department receives final grades from the high school, they are posted to the student's transcript. The transcript will have CCU's course equivalency and the student's letter grade.

Students are responsible for ordering their transcripts to be sent to higher education institutions of interest. If the student is placing their order before final grades have been posted, they should indicate on their order that they wish to have their transcript held until current semester grades are posted.

Visit CCU's dual credit transcript request page for instructions on how to request unofficial or official transcripts.

Am I required to provide transcripts from CCU to every school I apply to?

No. Many students will only send their CCU transcript to the school they have chosen to attend after they have completed their senior year of high school.


How are students’ dual credit grades submitted?

High schools submit final letter grades to the CCU dual credit department that match the students' high school transcripts. Grades are proofed and forwarded to CCU's Registrar for official posting.

Since there is a delay from when students receive their completed high school transcripts, students need to confirm if their grades are posted with CCU before ordering official transcripts or purchase official transcripts with the HOLD FOR GRADES selected. 

Tax Information

How do students receive 1098T document for taxes or a duplicate 1098T?

Colorado Christian University dual credit students are sent a 1098T form by January 31 of the current year if they were registered and paid course fees to CCU during the previous calendar year. CCU has contracted with Heartland ECSI to prepare and mail out 1098T forms.

Students can opt to have 1098T forms available electronically.

Students can gain access to duplicate 1098T forms on the Heartland ECSI website. Click to view your tax form and type in Colorado Christian University as school name. Enter your name, SSN and ZIP code as it matches your CCU record. To view or print the delivered 1098T click the + sign. If you have any questions, please contact ECSI at 866-428-1098 or CCU’s Dual Enrollment Department at 303-963-3029.

If you are attending a school that charges you for the CCU dual credit course, you will not receive a 1098T form.

Dual Credit High Schools and Faculty

How does a high school apply for dual credit?

Before applying, be sure to speak with a dual credit representative.

High schools submit an application form for each course they wish to qualify for dual credit. Applications should include:

  • School instructor’s CV and unofficial transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate level coursework
  • Information regarding the school instructor’s professional development
  • A comprehensive course syllabus

We recommended using the application checklist to make sure you submit a complete application.

Is there a fee for high schools to enroll in the dual credit program?

There is no fee for high schools to offer CCU dual credit courses. Students pay $200 per course. Lab sessions are included with the lecture portion of a dual credit science course.

What is the deadline for submitting a Dual Credit course for approval?

Please see the "Important Dates" tab on the Dual Credit High School Partners page.

Which teachers are eligible to teach a dual credit course?

Preferred Dual Credit Faculty Requirements:

  • Master's degree or higher in content area/related field
  • Master's degree or higher in education or a related field plus 18 graduate credit hours in content area

Please contact CCU’s Dual Enrollment department for additional criteria used to approve faculty members.

Contact Info