• Student Disability Services FAQs

    How accessible is Colorado Christian University?
    We have worked our best to make every building accessible at CCU. If our buildings lack something that is essential to your accessibility there is knowledgeable staff to assist in creating reasonable changes. We hope that every prospective student would visit CCU before making their final college decision. If you would like to set up a campus visit, please call our Office of Undergraduate Admission.
    Will there be any help for me as I make this transition from high school to college?
    CCU offers a unique experience in that every student receives a Life Directions Advisor. This advisor is assigned to you before you arrive at CCU and will be there for any questions and support in every academic service area, including disabilities. They will not serve as advocates between you and your professors, but they will empower you to advocate for yourself. This will prepare you not only for your college experience, but also for professional experiences upon graduation. Please visit the Life Directions Center website for more information.
    What is the difference between the help I received in high school versus what help I will receive in college?
    In high school, the law grants that students are entitled to disability services. As such, school districts are required to identify students with disability needs, assess their functional limitations, provide appropriate interventions and accommodations, and they continuously re-evaluate the student's progress. The law for universities is different. The laws are written in the logic of civil rights (as opposed to educational entitlement) and grant that a student has a right to services, but also specifies that a student must assert and claim their right to equal access.
    Who will advocate for me?
    In college, the student advocates for himself/herself.
    I have an IEP. Will that work for documentation?
    Unfortunately, Colorado Christian University does not accept IEPs as adequate documentation. Students will need to follow documentation guidelines listed on the Disability Verification Form under Requesting Accommodations.
    What kind of alterations can be made to my classes?
    Accommodations may not alter the fundamental nature of a degree, graduation requirements, classes, or instructional methods.
    Can I apply for accommodation but not use them in certain classes?
    Absolutely. CCU may provide student accommodations, but can not require that the student utilize them. You can pick and choose which classes you would like to use accommodations in depending on the class requirements.
    I didn't do very well on my ACT/SAT, but I had a good GPA in high school. Can I be waived from the testing requirement because of my disability?
    No. Equal Access requires that students meet all admission requirements. Both the ACT and SAT test providers allow accommodations. Please contact them before taking these standardized tests.
    What about personal services?
    Personal services are the student's responsibility.
    What if I think I have a disability, but have never been diagnosed?
    For students who have not yet been diagnosed with a disability, we ask that the student seek testing outside of CCU, as CCU does not have individuals to administer appropriate testing. The cost of the visit/assessment is borne by the student seeking the testing. If you find through the testing that you do have a disability and would like to request services from the Life Directions Center, you will need to complete and submit appropriate documentation. Please contact the LDC if you would like a list of possible physicians who can perform diagnostic testing for Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorders, and Physiological Disorders.
  • Contact Info

    Life Directions Center

    Phone: 303-963-3010

    Fax: 303-963-3011

    Email: ldc@ccu.edu