Dr. Stephen Shumaker
Professor of Politics
School of Humanities and Sciences
- Ph.D. Political Philosophy (Institute of Philosophic Studies, University of Dallas, Irving)
- M.A. Politics (University of Dallas, Irving)
- B.A. Bible (The Master's College)
- Former Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Baptist Bible College
- Developed Great Books M.A. in Worldview Studies at Baptist Bible Graduate School, integrating a biblical worldview with Great Books of the Western world
Phone: 303-963-3077I grew up in Japan, studied in Israel, and taught in Italy. My academic achievements continue to be shaped by this experience and include the following:
- I was dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.
- I constructed and directed a unique honors program called the "Honors Core," which blended academics, leadership and ministry service.
- I led faculty Great Books discussion with our undergraduate college faculty.
- I constructed and continue to direct a unique Christian Great Books M.A., centering on the comparison and contrast between various worldviews as articulated in the Bible and various Great Books of the Western world.
Academic papers include the following:
- "Aristotle’s Rhetoric for Saving Tyranny: An Education for Gentlemen, Philosophers, and Tyrants"
- "Preliminary Considerations on Milton’s Contribution to our Understanding of Godliness, Ministry and Education."
- "Preliminary Considerations on the Politics of Xenophon’s Cyrus and Israel’s King David"
- "Political Musings: Considerations on Joe Sachs’ and Seth Benardete’s Translations and Readings of Aristotle’s Poetics”
- "Socratic Political Rationalism in the Crito: Towards a Synthesis of Plato’s Hipparchus and Minos”
- "The Rhetorical Power of C.S. Lewis: An Inkling to Learn and Serve"