A person on a mountain top

Overcoming Anxieties about Going Back to School as an Adult

Afraid to pursue higher education? Here is a simple how-to guide for going back to school.

Christine Mann, a 49-year-old mother and pastor's wife, wanted to finish her degree. She only had 18 more credit hours to go but inner thoughts had her doubting herself.

• "I feel like I'm already overcommitted, and this might make it worse."
  • "It's just not where I fit in. I'm almost 50 years old."
  • "If I actually do this, I feel like I'll be drinking from a fire hose."
  • "I don't want to fail and disappoint my family."
  • "What would I use my degree for? Is it worth the money? The time? The sacrifice? Am I tech savvy enough to be up to date on all the technology advancements?"

Sound familiar? These anxieties continually ran through her head while making her decision to continue her education. After she talked with an Enrollment Counselor at Colorado Christian University, Christine knew she was ready to go back. She knew the path ahead of her was going to be hard but rewarding.

How-To Guide for Overcoming Anxiety about Going Back to School as an Adult

Talk with an Enrollment Counselor.

To ease your mind about returning to school, speak with an Enrollment Counselor. An Enrollment Counselor will be able to walk you through every detail. What will best help you choose your education path? Ask questions like:

• How many credit hours do I need to complete my degree?
  • How many classes should I take in a semester?
  • Will any of my previous credits transfer?

Prepare your family and yourself for the commitment.

Going back to school can be a shift in time and commitment. Prepare your family. Prepare yourself for this commitment. Our students often find, that their families can be the biggest supporters while earning a degree. With CCU's flexible degree options, your commitment can be as big or little as you would like it to be!

Believe in yourself.

You can be our own worst enemy. You might have a difficult time with a class, an assignment or time management. Keep your chin up and don't be discouraged! You will need to believe in your ability to do this well and complete your goals. CCU's faculty will come alongside you to help set you up for success and CCU Online's student community will encourage and work with you along the way. You're not alone. You've got this!

Take the first step.

The first step is the hardest but the most rewarding. Every journey begins with one step. Start the race! It can be scary but keep your eyes on the prize. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Make that call or submit your application; the seeds that you are sowing will reap more than you know!

Take one day at a time.

Starting out can feel you are drinking out of a fire hose. Take it one day at a time. There is no rush in this process. Taking it one class, one project, and one assignment at a time will ease the stress you have, and increase your ability to do your assignments with excellence. CCU Online's structure is one class every 5-weeks. This will allow you to fully focus on one class during each block.

Track each victory whether small or large.

Keep a list of all the classes you need to take and cross them off when you complete each one. You will be able to see your progress and celebrate every step and every victory; they will shape you and your experience.

Ask questions!

Whether making that first call to CCU, deciding on a degree, or starting your first course, you're bound to have questions. Ask them! Professors, Enrollment Counselors, and Student Success Advisors are all here to keep you in the know as you go. Chances are that someone else has the same questions as you. Nothing is lost and everything is gained when you simply ask. They will be able to clear your confusion and give you an answer. That's what they are there for. Asking questions and using your resources will help you succeed in this new journey at CCU and your goals beyond it. The future awaits!

Colorado Christian University does not guarantee any job placement as a result of earning this or any other degrees offered by the university.

Find out what options you have for continuing your education with CCU Online!

Learn More