Colorado Christian University

News: CCU Opens Rockmont Hall

Colorado Christian University Opens Rockmont Hall

More than a year of construction officially came to fruition August 20 when Colorado Christian University dedicated its newest facility, Rockmont Hall. The 330-bed, apartment-style residence hall is the fourth new building and the second residence hall constructed on the University’s Lakewood campus since its redevelopment plan was implemented in 2012.

“These are truly great facilities that allow us to provide an atmosphere for our students that encourages spiritual formation, community, and lifelong friendships,” said Jim McCormick, senior vice president and vice president of Student Life. “What an incredible path the Lord has CCU on, 10 years of record enrollments and another incredible building as we continue to transform our campus.”

The 115,000-square-foot facility was named in honor of one of CCU’s heritage institutions, Rockmont College, and will house both first-year and returning students. The four-story structure includes eight lounges and common social spaces, a grab-and-go café, internet connectivity from each room, and Wi-Fi access throughout the facility. The hall features one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments with full kitchens, a bathroom in each bedroom, washer and dryers in each unit, spacious living rooms, dishwashers, air conditioning, and cable.

“We are thrilled to open another new world-class residence hall for the students of Colorado Christian University,” said Dr. Donald W. Sweeting, president of CCU. “It is fitting to name this hall after one of our heritage schools — Rockmont College. The seal of Rockmont College originally consisted of four symbols — a pillar, a book, a torch and a mountain. The pillar stood for the halls of academia. The book was the Bible. The torch stood for the light of the gospel and taking that light into the world. And the mountain, of course, stood for the Rocky Mountains as Rockmont was the only interdenominational Christian liberal arts college in the Rocky Mountain region.”

Rockmont College traces its roots to the establishment of Denver Bible Institute, the oldest of Colorado Christian University’s legacy institutions, which was founded in 1914. Following years of growth, what was then known as Denver Bible College was renamed Rockmont College in 1948 to accurately reflect its expanding mission as a Christian liberal arts college. In 1967, the college relocated to what would become CCU’s current campus in Lakewood. The college merged with Western Bible College in 1985 to form Colorado Christian College. The institution became Colorado Christian University in 1989 when it began offering graduate-level degrees.

The dedication ceremony also included the naming of the grab-and-go café for former Rockmont student-athlete and five-time Olympian Arturo Kinch. The 1979 grad competed in soccer, basketball, and downhill skiing for Rockmont before founding the Costa Rica Ski Association and competing at five Winter Games.
Following the dedication, students moved in to the building. The University is expecting record enrollment for the tenth consecutive year when classes begin on August 26.

Two additional buildings are in the planning stage for the Lakewood campus redevelopment. The Armstrong Center, named in honor of the late CCU president Bill Armstrong, will house the University's first dedicated chapel, the School of Music, the University library, and space for media production and the performing arts. A second new academic building to house classroom and laboratory space is also planned. Campaign efforts are currently underway to raise the funds needed to break ground on both new facilities. For more information, visit ccu.edu/campaign.