M.Ed. in Special Education FAQs

Request Info

Questions About CCU's Master's Degree in Special Education

Are you interested in earning a master's degree in Special Education? Find answers to frequently asked questions about this education master's program below. For additional questions, please contact an enrollment counselor.

Who earns a Master of Education in Special Education degree?

The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education program provides training to prospective special education teachers who need a Colorado teaching license to work in a special needs K-12 classroom in public and private settings.

How many credits are required for the degree?

The Master of Education in Special Education is a 43 semester hour program completed in five semesters. It consists of 14 courses, including a semester long student teaching experience with an action research project. See the M.Ed. in Special Education curriculum page for additional information.

How many of the credits can be transferred from another program?

Students may transfer up to 12 semester hours of graduate credit from an accredited college or university. The coursework must be comparable to that offered at CCU and fulfill the CCU M.Ed. Special Education degree requirements. Coursework applied to the M.Ed. SPED program must have been earned with a grade of “C” or better.

Are there any emphases available in the M.Ed. Special Education program?

No, the M.Ed. in Special Education is a generalist program that provides coursework to prepare students to work in most special education settings.

What is Student Teaching /Action Research?

Students are required to student teach their final semester in a special education setting. During the student teaching experience candidates are required to research and implement a “teaching best practice” project in the classroom.

Will I earn a teaching license with the M.Ed. in Special Education degree?

Yes. The Master of Education in Special Education degree is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and leads directly to licensure from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE).

Is the program accredited?

All of Colorado Christian University's programs are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The M.Ed. in Special Education program is also endorsed by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). Visit our Accreditations page for details.

What is required to apply? Are there prerequisites?

Read about specific admission requirements for the M.Ed. Special Education program. An applicant must have an accredited bachelor’s or master’s degree. There are no specific prerequisites for the program.

Will I have to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

The GRE is not required for admission to this program.

How much does the program cost?

View current tuition and fees for the M.Ed. Special Education program.

Is financial aid available?

See our Financial Aid site for detailed information about financial aid and payment options for graduate students. The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You are also encouraged to check with your employer about additional tuition benefits that may be available through your company.

When may I start the M.Ed. in Special Education program?

The M.Ed. in Special Education is a cohort program. Cohorts can begin fall, spring or summer semester (August, January, May) depending on enrollment.

Where and when are the classes offered?

M.Ed. in Special Education courses are offered online (Teaching Internship and Student Teaching coursework requires field placement in an accredited school setting); each course is taken in a five-week block.

Apply for Free