FAQs About Dual Enrollment and Dual Credit

FAQs About CCU Academy Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment Courses

Are you a high school student interested in earning college credit or even an associate degree before you finish high school? Find answers to commonly asked questions about dual credit and dual enrollment courses and the associate degree track offered through CCU Academy.

About CCU Academy Courses

What is the difference between dual credit, dual enrollment and AP courses?

Both dual credit and dual enrollment courses offered through CCU Academy provide affordable general education courses for high school students in order to help reduce college costs and prepare for the rigor of college coursework.

Through CCU Academy's partnerships with high schools across the country, dual credit courses are taught in-seat at participating high schools by approved high school faculty. These courses offer both high school and transferable college credit. Dual credit is earned in the same manner as a typical college course — through papers, tests, and other assignments. The dual credit is awarded based on the grade received at the culmination of the course.

The dual enrollment courses offered through CCU Academy enable any high school student to complete college-level coursework and even an associate degree prior to their high school graduation. The 100% online courses are taught by highly qualified CCU faculty members in 10- or 15-week blocks (depending on the semester) using the Brightspace Learning Management System.

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered through high schools and are designed to provide students with college credit. Unlike dual credit and dual enrollment courses, AP credit is earned based on an end-of-the-year test score. Students should understand the scores required to gain college credit at institutions of interest.

Are CCU Academy courses accredited?

Since Colorado Christian University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, all courses offered through CCU Academy are also accredited. Learn more about CCU accreditations.

How much do CCU dual credit and dual enrollment courses cost?

CCU Academy dual credit courses are offered at a reduced rate compared to CCU's traditional cost per credit hour. There is a $200 fee per course to register for all CCU dual credit courses. Science labs are included in the price of the lecture portion of the course. Students must register for the science lab along with the science lecture course.

Online dual enrollment courses and labs cost $100 per credit hour. Students must register for the science lab along with the science lecture course.

Will CCU Academy's dual credit and dual enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Because CCU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, our credits transfer to many colleges and universities nationwide. Institutions, including CCU, differ on how they accept both AP and dual credits and can vary from year to year. Students should contact higher education institutions of interest regarding credit transfer prior to registering for a dual credit or dual enrollment course through CCU Academy.

CCU will not offer refunds for course credits that do not transfer to institutions.

Will students who complete dual credit or dual enrollment courses still be considered freshmen when entering college?

The majority of colleges and universities will consider students entering college directly from high school as freshman, regardless of the number of credit hours from dual credit or dual enrollment courses. However, this policy is set by the college or university that the student chooses to attend.

Institutions, including CCU, differ on how they accept AP and other college-level credits, and can vary their policies from year to year and for various programs. You are encouraged to contact universities of interest in order to understand how your college-level credits and class standing are viewed; this is important for financial aid purposes.

Is there a limit to the number of dual credit or dual enrollment courses a student can take?

There are no restrictions set by CCU on how many dual credit or dual enrollment courses a student can enroll in while they are attending high school. However, there may be restrictions set by individual high schools who offer CCU's dual credit program at their campus. Students should check with their high school guidance counselor prior to registering for multiple dual credit courses.

How is an online dual enrollment course set up?

The online class is run primarily through a Web-based format called Brightspace. The virtual classroom format allows you to interact with your instructor and other high school students, and gives you the tools you need to find and submit required assignments.

Homeschool students will be placed with other independent students and international students until each course section is full.

Associate Degree Track

How many credits can be transferred into the CCU Academy associate degree track?

Students may transfer 75%, or 45 credits into the the CCU Academy Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts track; 15 of those credits must be earned through Colorado Christian University, including any dual credit and dual enrollment courses offered through CCU Academy.

Can AP credits be used toward the associate degree track?

If students receive a 4 or 5 on the AP exam, they may transfer those credits to the CCU Academy Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts degree track. Please contact your CCU Academy rep for additional details.

Student Eligibility

Who is eligible to take dual credit or online dual enrollment courses?

Dual credit courses are typically taken by high school juniors and seniors. However, each high school decides which students have the ability to register for CCU dual credit courses. Make sure to check with your guidance counselor prior to making a decision to register for a dual credit course.

Online dual enrollment courses through CCU Academy may be taken by students who are at least 15 years of age and have not yet completed their high school diploma or GED. Students cannot be older than 21 years of age when registering for a course.

  • Example 1: A student cannot be 22 years old on the start date of class.
  • Example 2: A student who is or turns 22 years old on the date of registration cannot register.

Are international students eligible to register for dual credit or online dual enrollment courses?

Yes. International students at participating dual credit high schools may register for dual credit courses through CCU Academy. In addition, they are also eligible to register for CCU Academy's online dual enrollment courses.

International students should select the box "Create New International Account" to set up an account before registering for courses.

Do students need to submit a CCU application or complete a pre-entrance exam?

No. Students do not need to complete a CCU application or pre-entrance exam in order to register for online dual enrollment courses; however, students must complete the Online Dual Enrollment form before they select their CCU Academy courses.

Learn more on the CCU Academy Registration page

Course Registration

How do students register for dual credit and online dual enrollment courses?

Before registering for CCU Academy courses, students should check with their guidance counselor about CCU dual credit and/or online dual enrollment courses when creating their academic plan.

To register for dual credit courses, visit the dual credit registration page for details and instructions.

To register for dual enrollment online courses, visit the dual enrollment registration page for details and instructions.

When can students register for dual credit or dual enrollment courses?

For dual credit courses, see the "Important Dates" tab on the student page for current registration dates.

For online dual enrollment courses, see the Online Dual Enrollment Calendar for registration dates.

Is there a start and end date for online dual enrollment courses or can I just take them at any time?

Online courses run in a block system every semester with specific start and end dates. See the Online Dual Enrollment Calendar for current block start dates.

Can students withdraw from a dual credit or dual enrollment course after registering?

Dual Credit —Yes. You may drop or withdraw from a course by contacting your school.

Online Dual Enrollment —Yes. You may drop or withdraw from a course by contacting your CCU Academy Student Advisor.

Please be aware of both the dual credit “important dates” and online dual enrollment calendar for drop deadlines as each year is subject to change.

Am I required to provide my Social Security number on the registration page?

Yes. Your Social Security number (SSN) is required for identification purposes, 1098T forms, and for ordering transcripts.


How and when can students obtain transcripts?

Students are responsible for ordering their transcripts to be sent to higher education institutions of interest. If the student is placing their order before final grades have been posted, they should indicate on their order that they wish to have their transcript held until current semester grades are posted.

Visit the CCU Academy Transcript page for instructions on how to request unofficial or official transcripts.

Am I required to provide transcripts from CCU to every school I apply to?

No. Many students will only send their CCU transcript to the school they have chosen to attend after they have completed their senior year of high school.

Students may send unofficial transcripts to any college of interest. Official transcripts should be ordered after graduation, once all grades have been posted. If ordered before grades have been posted, students must select "HOLD FOR GRADES".


How are students’ dual credit grades submitted?

For dual credit courses, high schools submit final letter grades that match the students' high school transcripts to CCU Academy. Grades are proofed and forwarded to CCU's Registrar for official posting. Since there is a delay from when students receive their completed high school transcripts, students need to confirm if their grades are posted with CCU before ordering official transcripts or purchasing official transcripts with the "HOLD FOR GRADES" selected.

For dual enrollment online courses, students may check their grades via Brightspace at any time, and their final grades will be posted on their CCU transcripts.

Tax Information

How do students receive a 1098T document for taxes or a duplicate 1098T?

Colorado Christian University dual credit students are sent a 1098T form by January 31 of the current year if they were registered and paid course fees to CCU during the previous calendar year. CCU has contracted with Heartland ECSI to prepare and mail out 1098T forms.

Students can opt to have 1098T forms available electronically.

Students can gain access to duplicate 1098T forms on theHeartland ECSI website. Click to view your tax form and type in Colorado Christian University as the school name. Enter your name, SSN and ZIP code as it matches your CCU record. To view or print the delivered 1098T click the + sign. If you have any questions, please contact ECSI at 866-428-1098 or CCU’s Dual Enrollment Department at 303-963-3029.

If you make your dual credit payments to your high school, you will not receive a CCU 1098T form.

Dual Credit High Schools and Faculty

How does a high school apply for dual credit?

Before applying, be sure to speak with a CCU Academy representative.

High schools submit an application form for each course they wish to qualify for dual credit. Applications should include:

  • School instructor's CV and unofficial transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate level coursework
  • Information regarding the school instructor’s professional development
  • A comprehensive course syllabus

We recommended using the application checklist to make sure you submit a complete application.

Is there a fee for high schools to enroll in the dual credit program?

There is no fee for high schools to offer CCU dual credit courses. Students pay $200 per course. Lab sessions are included with the lecture portion of a dual credit science course.

What is the deadline for submitting a Dual Credit course for approval?

Please see the "Important Dates" tab on the Dual Credit High School Partners page.

Which teachers are eligible to teach a dual credit course?

Preferred Dual Credit Faculty Requirements:

  • Master's degree or higher in content area/related field
  • Master's degree or higher in education or a related field plus 18 graduate credit hours in content area

Please contact CCU’s Dual Enrollment department for additional criteria used to approve faculty members.

CCU Academy Contact Info

  • Dual Credit Program


  • Dual Enrollment Online Courses